Marit Fujiwara+Julie Krakowski= Divine Textile Design


I don't like to sew. I reallllly don't like to sew.
I only choose to sew if I have envisioned something I must create(..like jewelry or a bag of my own design) and I'm in the mood. I love to draw because when I plant my black pen on the page I get instant gratification. I have complete control over the piece's success or failure.
When I'm sewing I have to find a 'nice' machine to work with, approach the machine with caution, make sure it has what it needs/wants to function and then I can proceed with my project. For me, 87% of the time the machine throws a tantrum and what should take moments to finish takes hours...or days.
School has taught me this.
This is why I don't like to sew and which is why I have a great deal of respect for those who have mastered it and can literally sew fibers into works of art. Although the machine creates the piece, the design of the textile gives life to it.

Exquisite textiles, such as these, are what makes the fashion world go round.
Innovative textile design dramatically influences and inspires style trends and collections far beyond the fashion industry.

When first I came across Marit Fujiwara's work (awhile back via the lovely Ms. Susie Bubble ) I couldn't quite grasp its exquisite detail. My eyes had to take it in doses and it took quite some time for my eyes to adjust to it's many levels.
Her work is gloriously 'overworked' and has incredible flow. Creating such soft, organic and 'light' beauty is rarely accomplished from textiles with sooo much depth and detail.
This is what makes her a master of her craft.
I agree Susie, All Hail Marit Fujiwara.


 

 Samples

 
 
 See more of her work on her flickr photostream.

 annNnndd

Checkout Julie Krakowski's beautiful work.
I love reading about what influences each one of her collections and the techniques and materials she uses to execute them.

My favorite collections



and



0 comments:

Post a Comment

top